Ode to a Lily

Lily of the Valley (digital photo)

Oh gentle

Lily of the Valley,

bowed down in quiet prayer

to your Creator,

your humility,

your simplicity

is your beauty.

How like the trees art thou

who, unlike you,

reach skywards,

while you kneel

with sensuous spirituality

in deference to the Almighty.

Oh beauteous

Lily of the Valley,

would that we all were like thee

in thy hushed humility.

1. “your simplicity

is your beauty.” – Yep.

May 23, 2013 at 11:07 AM

2. This is so lovely, Ellen–reminds me of my grandma… God bless you today–love, Caddo

May 23, 2013 at 1:16 PM

• I am curious… why does it remind you of your Grandma? Thanks for writing and blessings to you. xx ellen

May 23, 2013 at 3:34 PM

• Because she loved Lily of the Valley, and was the one who gave me my first Bible–I miss her, and hope she’s waiting for me to join her.

May 23, 2013 at 3:39 PM

• A very important person in your life then. I’m sure she’ll be waiting for you but I hope you are not going anywhere soon!

May 23, 2013 at 3:43 PM

3. Larry

Oh, if only I could have written such humble perfection I’d feel my destiny met. I truly love this poem, picture, and sentiment. Bravo!

May 23, 2013 at 1:59 PM

• Thank you so much for your lovely, if somewhat self-deprecating, comment on my poem, “Ode to a Lily,” and for visiting other times! I would love to see your work but find no blog after looking a few times.  Thanks so much for your encouragement– it means a lot!!

May 23, 2013 at 3:32 PM

4. Oh my goodness, so lovely!

May 23, 2013 at 9:43 PM

5. Reading your poem, it makes me ponder over every creation of god with human like qualities is intact but us invariably gone astray. Not everyone, i guess. He has his appointed people doing their little bit each moment, everyday…

May 25, 2013 at 2:26 AM

• A very profound and poetic comment. Thanks for stopping by. xx Ellen

May 25, 2013 at 10:14 AM

6. Humble simple beauty.

May 26, 2013 at 12:13 AM

7. Too much growth killed almost all the lilly of the valley in the local woods. So they went elsewhere. The primroses got scarce too. I only saw 25 of them, but didn’t have to look. The forest evolves all the time. When I was small, there were no foxes or no buzzards, but they have now come back because we care al ot better for nature these days …

May 27, 2013 at 6:41 PM