Rural Reflections

Something poignant about a lone gas station out in the middle of nowhere.

Edward Hopper caught the feeling  in a painting of a gas station surrounded by trees on  countryside road.

The reflections of the trees in the windows is a view of another world when set against the background of colorful signage, notices, and advertisements.

P1130547_edited-1

P1130548_edited-1

P1130549_edited-1

DSCN3423_edited-1

P1130550_edited-1

1. A good metaphor for getting distracted by the obvious and so missing what is vital.

Liked by 1 person

July 24, 2014 at 11:13 AM

• Thank you so much, Hariod. Happy you could get so much out of the photos. Appreciatively, Ellen

July 25, 2014 at 2:01 PM

2. Dear Ellen, I know exactly the painting you mean and you made a fantastic photo. Love the colors and the trees in the window. Have a wonderful day, warmest regards Mitza

July 24, 2014 at 11:19 AM

• Not surprised you know the painting! Thanks for the complimentary comment. Have a good weekend– just wrote you, Warmest regards, Ellen

July 25, 2014 at 1:58 PM

3. Love it all!!!

July 24, 2014 at 2:30 PM

• Thank you so much, Cindy. Just saw some gorgeous photos by you! Good weekend, Ellen

July 25, 2014 at 1:59 PM

4. Love the juxtaposition of tree limbs reflected in windows filled with tacky advertisements. The sacred and the profane, or perhaps simply the mundane. Nature vs. manmade.

July 24, 2014 at 4:09 PM

• Hi Kitt, It’s impressive that you got so much out of the photos. I felt what you said but could not have verbalized it.

Thank you so very much for commenting and for all your support!! And for the Twitter work. I don’t tweet except when animal and environmental groups ask me to share a petition on Twitter.

I wish for you some down time from Twitter and the social media. It is over stimulating and anyone can get burnt out but especially people like us– Bipolar with other assorted treats. Have a great weekend!! Relax!! Respectfully yours, Ellen

July 25, 2014 at 10:24 AM

• Yes. It has taken its toll this week. Thank you. I will be turning off the computer soon.

July 25, 2014 at 6:06 PM

• Social media can be insidious and not just for Bipolars. I have burnt out many times. Please take a rest and go into nature and let yourself heal! Hoping you feel better, Ellen

July 25, 2014 at 11:07 PM

• I made a nice dinner and walked the dogs with my husband in the dark, which was pleasant as it’s been hot.

July 26, 2014 at 1:31 AM

5. What with the beer and the propane, that’s one gassy shop. Great shots, Ellen!

July 25, 2014 at 4:13 PM

6. Great photos, Ellen. It reminds of the way there is an overlay of something natural and deeper upon our every encounter, if we’re open to seeing deeply. I love the irony of the cigarette receptacle next to the cartoon bottle of propane. And I never ceased to be amazed at the niches that open up in an economy– like these stores that sell this particular medley of goods… movies, cigarettes, beer, fuel, lottery tickets and worms. You really can’t make this stuff up!

Michael

July 25, 2014 at 8:29 PM

• Thanks so much, Michael. I love that you got so much out of the photos– especially what you said about a deeper reality. And I was unaware of the irony of the cigarettes and propane!! Good eye there! This place with the reflections just touched me. And yes, what a mix of things are sold that say something about our country. Thank you so much for your insights and astute reactions! Namaste, Ellen

July 25, 2014 at 10:45 PM

7. Nice captures Ellen: composition, color and most importantly– place.

July 28, 2014 at 1:49 PM