Maya in Nature and the Nature of Maya

RSCN2965_edited-1

If one looks at nature abstractly, one can see it is made up of line, color and form. Plato spoke of “form“. And Indian philosophy talks of Maya, the consensual reality that is a dream of our mortal bodies.  Yogananda warns us not to get caught up in Maya and how easy it is to see it as real.
My photograph is a homage to the Abstract Expressionist artist, Mark Rothko, a hero of sorts for me.  He was reaching for spirituality, too, but did not follow Hindu thought.  However, in his paintings, which I try to  emulate in photography, one can see color, shape and form. This is a step away from the dream of life or “Maya” and a step towards the spiritual.
Next time, when looking at nature, try looking beyond the scene to the formal elements, and see how the dream of life is a delusion in which our minds spend most of their time.

1. Wow! Love that image, Ellen. And so VERY Rothko… 😀

February 7, 2014 at 7:00 PM

• Thank you, Running Elk, and glad you see Rothko in my photograph. xx Ellen

February 8, 2014 at 12:04 AM

2. Such a profound thought, that if one looks at nature abstractly, it is broken down to the basic elements of line, color and form. My daughter is an Arts (and Economics) major, and she deeply reveres Rothko, and so does my husband (who is also more an artist than I)… Indeed, in numbers, art, economics, psychology, physics, biology, and other disciplines of thought — to understand the crux of the matter, one has to look for the basic elements. Thank you for this enlightening post, Ellen. Blessings, Dee

February 7, 2014 at 9:41 PM

• Thank you for your profound comment, Dee! It is true every discipline can break down things to their basic elements. Enlightening to be sure to think about in the context of Maya. Blessings always, Ellen

February 8, 2014 at 2:53 PM

3. wonderful colors and words, Ellen. Have a nice week-end, warm regards Mitza

February 8, 2014 at 10:22 AM

• Dear Mitza, Thank you for your kind comment and for your email. I wrote on another post of yours and will be emailing you soon. Have a great weekend! xx ellen

February 8, 2014 at 2:51 PM

4. Yes I agree. IN all things I try to see beyond the overt. I see more that way.

February 14, 2014 at 7:52 PM

• Thank you for taking the time to comment, Yisraela! Happy Valentine’s Day!

February 14, 2014 at 8:10 PM